WHAT IS A Sump Pump?
In a basement waterproofing system, a sump pump is a pump used to remove water that has been collected by other waterproofing systems such as wall waterproofing and drainage. Sump pumps will pump this collected water away from the property to a place where it is no longer problematic.
Sump pumps are particularly useful where a space below ground suffers from regular flooding. They can also help in the treatment of damp basements where the water table lies above the property foundations.
How to maintain a sump pump
It is important that sump pumps are efficiently maintained as debris can enter the pump and prevent it from working at full capacity. It is important to inspect the sump pump every six months to ensure no problems have developed in this period.
- Debris can be removed manually from the sump pump but ensure to disconnect the check valve before removing any debris.
- It is possible for the float arm to become jammed if the sump pump is not sitting upright so make sure to check that vibrations have not caused the sump pump to fall over.
- You can test if the pump is working correctly by pouring water into the pit. If the sump pump is working correctly, it should quickly drain away the water. If this does not occur, then it is recommended to have the pump inspected by a professional.
- Moisture can cause the GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) breaker to trip which will cause the sump pump to shut down. If this is the case, the sump pump will need to be reset. This can be avoided by checking the GFCI outlet is plugged in and in good condition.
what to consider before getting a Sump pump
If you are going to rely on a sump pump (and the most effective basement waterproofing systems and basement conversions do), you will want to ensure it is reliable, has a battery backup, and is powerful enough to handle a heavy amount of rain water.
Before selecting your sump pump, make sure you ask these 3 vital questions:
- What happens if the sump pump fails?
- What happens if the sump pump cannot keep up with hard, fast rain?
- What happens if the power goes out?
For more information on what to consider, visit our compare sump pumps web page.
which Sump Pump should i get?
At Wise Basement Systems, there are three main sump pump systems we offer. These pumps can be part of the water management solution to any kind of property - commercial or domestic.
(click on images above for hi-res version)
Super sump pump
This pump can handle 2220 gallons per hour, which should be more than enough for most water management systems. It also resists clogging and can pump up to 12mm of solids. Properly looked after, it will perform reliably for many, many years.
Triple Safe sump pump
Handling an incredible 6600 gallons per hour, this pump is often referred to as the "world's best sump pump system". If you need the peace of mind that comes with ultimate protection, then our Triple Safe sump pump system is for you.
Ultra Sump battery back-up sump pump
If you need to be completely sure that your sump pump will be ready whatever the situation, our pump battery backup system will protect your property from any potential sump pump power failure.
Other Waterproofing Products
Our sump pumps are not the only waterproofing products we use to ensure that any basements, cellars and underground spaces we work on stay dry. If you would like to find out about the products we use on walls and floors, or the types of drainage solutions we install, then click on the button below to view our waterproofing products page.
Contact us for more information about sump pumps
If you want a visit from from of our expert surveyors then call us today on: 08082564538
Alternatively, you can request a survey online using the form below and out team will get back to you.